DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY
The Department of Zoology came into existence in 1959. Prof. Marykutty George was the first head of the department of Zoology. Prof. Lilly Koshy (1961-1993) took over the reins followed by Dr. Cardoza Mildred Diana and Prof. Katherine Philip who served as heads of the Department. Rev. Sr. Leelamma Joseph of the department served as the eighth Principal of St. Joseph's College. Sr. Leelamma was also the Provincial Superior of the Canossian congregation for the South Province. The services of Prof. Lilykutty Mathew, Prof. Tresa Anthraper and Rev Mother Teresina Prevedello during their tenure in the Department were commendable.
The present head of the department is Dr. Annie Thomas. Ms. Rose Michael, Ms. Oriel D'coutho , Ms. Remya James and Febby Payya are the other members of the Zoology fraternity. The Non-Teaching staff members are Smt. Helen Fernandez and Smt. Mary Metilda.
The Department of Zoology promotes discovery and learning at all levels of biological organization (molecular, cellular, organismal, population, community, and ecosystem). Our integrative focus reflects the importance of strong disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches in teaching. We strive for excellence and synergy in our coordinated programs of teaching and service. Recognizing the essential roles of science and biology in the lives of citizens today and tomorrow, we emphasize biological literacy in our teaching and outreach programs. Along with the subject knowledge we aim at inculcating spiritual and cultural values in the students.