HISTORY OF COLLEGE
St. Joseph’s College for Women was established in 1954 by the Canossian Daughters of Charity, an international congregation of missionary sisters. It is situated in the heartland of the Alleppey town, which is historically renowned in the world mercantile map for its coir and spices trade and now acclaimed as a major international tourist destination, as the land of boat races, backwaters, canals and lagoons. It has catered to the cause of women’s education for fifty six long years leaving an indelible imprint in the society around as a reputed centre for higher education in the state of Kerala, scaling peaks of excellence in both academic and extra-curricular fields.
What started as a Junior college under the leadership of M. Fernanda Riva, the first Principal, has crossed the golden threshold of 50 years in 2004-05, and is fast approaching the diamond year. In the meanwhile it has developed into a full-fledged college with UG Courses in 10 subjects and PG Courses in 2 subjects with a few more in the pipeline, and several certificate and add-on courses offered for the betterment of the students. The college has had the good fortune to have illustrious Principals including M. Olive Rodrigues, M. Josephine d’ Melo, Sr. Olive d’ Silva, Dr. Sr. Annette Thottakkara, Dr. Sr. Rose Chacko, Dr. Sr. Annie Mathew, and Sr. Leela Mappilacherry at the helm. The present Principal Dr. Sr. Janat Augustine K. assumed the leadership of the institution in April 2010, as it forges ahead in the new millennium.